Committee Minutes 28 Jan 2019

Posted on Feb 04, 2019

Minutes of Horley Conservation Group (HCG) Committee

Meeting 28th January 2019
6.00pm Monday 28th January 2018 Farmhouse Pub, Horley

Present: Kevin Lerwill GGP (KL), Bill Chaffe-Secretary (BC), Catherine Baart – Joint Chairperson (CB), Jan Spratt – Joint Chairperson (JS), Mike Botcherby – Treasurer (MB), David Watts – RBBC (DW)

page1image3392

Minute Ref

CONTENT

page1image6904

Action and Timescale

2019/01

Horley Town Park – Basis for designation

David Watts confirmed that no decision has yet been taken on the future designation of Tanyard Meadows. For HCG the preferred designation would be Local Nature Reserve.

CB to prepare a paper for HCG to submit to RBBC

page1image15048

2019/02

Surrey Wildlife Trust recommendations

These will be encompassed within the paper being prepared by CB – see 2019/01
The initial brief for SWT was to carry out plant, invertebrate, animal and reptile surveys.

The 5 year RBBC management plan will implement everything that SWT has suggested with due respect to the historical importance of the entire site. The intention is to enhance the wildlife levels across the area. The fields will initially be mown twice a year and the cuttings left in situ in the early years until unwanted contaminant plant species have disappeared. After this the fields will be managed as hay meadows, mown and the cuttings removed to enhance wildflower diversity.

RBBC to implement the agreed 5 year plan

2019/03

page1image26168

Riverside Green Chain Conservation Grazing

These will be encompassed within the paper being prepared by CB – see 2019/01
RBBC are of the view that grazing is probably not best suited to this area due to the flood risk and popularity of the area with local dog walkers

page1image29784

2019/04

HCG Tool Container

The case for this has been agreed and all signed off. Money is now available. Tool container- KL to obtain access to allotments from Horley Town Council once the new shipping container has been confirmed by RBBC.

1. DW to arrange ordering and siting of the container asap

2. KL to arrange access once sited

2019/05

Spring and Summer Tasks

KL to arrange site visit (with DW and CB) to RGC in late Feb or early March to coincide with identifying suitable volunteer tasks for the Spring and Summer (and beyond).

page1image42240

KL to finalise after site visit

2019/06

The Fieldings Community Orchard Mowing Regime

HCG volunteers to rake and bag up cuttings after the Spring and Autumn cuts (ready for collection by RBBC).

HCG on agreed dates

2019/07

AOB

  1. Riverfly Surveys – To be discussed at AGM

  2. RBBC Twitter Page – HCG can share photo’s etc via #MyRBBC

  3. Horley Wildlife Ranger Sessions – Run by GGP takle place on the 3rdSaturday of each month at Roll’s Field, Gatwick (12-16 year olds). Contact Thomas Simpson if you would like any more details (thomassimpson@sussewt.org.uk

  4. Issue of Dog Poo – This is a growing issue across the area. More bins are to be provided by RBBC. There will also be seating provided to enhance the area views for walkers. There is a RBBC Dog Warden who will be seen ion the area on occasions. It is hoped that the actions / presence of the warden will encourage dog owners to pick up.

  5. HCG Minutes – to be published on website once approved

  6. AGM – Date confirmed as Monday 25th March at the Trinity Oaks

    Primary School, Horley. Commencing at 6pm.

page2image17560

BC add to agenda
HCG members

RBBC

BC